Tuesday, September 9, 2014

BREADBOX CAFE, a former Autoshop


A Pleasant Surprise at Breadbox Cafe
 LICqueenstv writer Eso Romero


It’s only four weeks into Breadbox cafe’s new dinner menu, which includes an eclectic mix of tapas, entrees, cocktails, wine and beer. Arriving on a Friday night with my kids in tow, I was especially happy to see a kids’ menu as well. It was a sparse crowd with only a few other tables filled, but I enjoyed the mellow atmosphere. It took me awhile to notice that the windows are actually beautifully transformed glass panels of two garage doors. The brick walls and mid-century wood panels complete the look.

We ordered the crispy calamari to start, which was coated with cornmeal batter and served with a garlic aioli. I found the aioli more similar to a tartar sauce in taste and would’ve preferred a stronger garlic flavor. I probably enjoyed the accompanying salad the most, with fresh arugula and a light vinaigrette. My main entree was the grilled skirt steak and frites. I ordered it medium rare and it came more on the medium side. The paired chimichurri sauce had the consistency of salsa, very different from the olive-oil based chimichurris I’ve had before. The flavor profile was still a refreshing accent to the steak, however. Again, as it was with the calamari, the accompanying salad was fresh, crisp and well-dressed. 

One of my children ordered the typical mac and cheese from the kids’ menu. There’s no boxed mac here! It was made in-house with penne and a mix of cheeses. Needless to say, she was a happy camper. My other daughter and my partner were also quite happy with their meals, a short rib burger and the chicken cobb salad. My girls especially loved their different flavored lemonades, mint and kiwi.

It was a satisfying dinner that would bring us back. Although I could have done without the somewhat intrusive TV in the dining area, it was a family-friendly kind of place with attentive service and fresh food.



No comments:

Post a Comment